Invite Hikoi for Homes
No matter where you're from, everyone knows how important having a home is, it's the centre of our entire lives. So why is it that so many New Zealander's are unable to find a secure, warm, dry and affordable home?
Please join us at the Hikoi for Homes in two weeks time to show your support in asking for action on housing from the government! See full colour invite
Sat 21 November
12pm Auckland- Meet at the Glen Innes Train Station(GI) at 12pm OR join us at the corner of Kepa Road and Coates Avenue at approx 2pm. The walk will finish in Orakei Domain approx 3pm and will take 2-3 hours.
1pm Wellington- Meet at Cuba Street at 1pm and finish at Civic Square. Followed by family-friendly music and festivities. The event will take approximately 1.5 hours.
12pm Christchurch -Meet at 12pm at the carpark opposite Eastgate Shopping Centre - 9 Buckleys Road, Linwood
Please share attached posters and help spread the Hikoi far and wide.
Visit www.hikoiforhomes.co.nz for the latest information on transport, times and locations.
Access to adequate housing is a basic human right, something that many New Zealanders are missing out. Skyrocketing house prices, unaffordable rent increases, cold and damp home conditions, sell off of state houses, poor tenancy protection laws and housing being treated as a commodity whose allocation is decided entirely by markets and the profit motive. This needs to change now!
CPAG with support from AAAP, Unite and the First Union are holding a Hikoi for Homes to demonstrate our support toward better housing for everyone.
Principle 'asks' of the campaign.
- An immediate stop to the sell-off of state and council housing
- A $1 Billion annual budget for the provision of more state, public,and not-for-profit housing
- Setting minimum standards for all rented housing
- Greater tenure protection for tenants
- Rent freeze for five years
- A statutory right to be housed
- State subsidies for modest income home-ownership programmes
How you can help?
Join and share our event on Facebook using the links below
Ways to get involved:
As well as joining us on the day, there are lots of wee (and not so wee) things you can do to support this event
- Forward this email to all your networks
- Distribute flyers around your office or local shops - please email for hard copies.
- Join and/or share the event on Facebook
- Tweet about the Hikoi: #hikoiforhomes
- Volunteer on the day contact to put your name down.
- Attend our movie screening of " A place to call home" onWed 18th Nov at St Heliers Presbyterian Church
- Attend our fundraiser concert after the Hikoi at 6pm at Ponsonby Baptist Church.
- And of course - bring all your friends and family along on the day!
- Any (or all) of the above plus -
- Add a notice about the Hikoi to your website or next newsletter
- Write a media release supporting the Hikoi, Contact if you're keen.
- And of course - get everyone in your organisation to join us! Feel free to bring your organisational flags and banners along on the day too.
Christchurch flyer available to download on website next week - please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to be sent the PDF flyer.